Application due: June 1
Exhibit + Sale: November 25-December 24
Thanks for your interest in exhibiting at the 48th annual Celebration of American Crafts, a holiday exhibit and sale of the best handmade crafts by makers from New England and across the country. This event is greatly anticipated regionally, attracting buyers from throughout Connecticut and parts of metropolitan New York and western Massachusetts. Proceeds support Creative Arts Workshop’s education and outreach programs.
We seek makers of bold, creative, and original work who continue to grow as artists, push the boundaries of their media, and consistently produce unique, high-quality pieces. The exhibit is professionally curated and staffed; however, makers can participate in community events and programs during the sale.
- April 15-June 1: Open Call Applications are accepted and juried
- July 1: Accepted makers are notified by email
- August 1: Inventory lists due from makers
- October 1-31: Delivery of work
- November 25-December 24: Celebration sale, events, and programs
- December 20: First payment mailed
- December 26-28: Post Celebration sale
- January 2-31: Return of work
- January 31: Final payment mailed
- Work accepted on consignment with the Maker receiving 60% of retail price
- Payments are calculated in two installments and mailed on December 20 and January 31
- As this is CAW’s largest annual fundraiser, the cost of return shipping for unsold work is deducted from the Maker’s final payment
The Celebration Jury Committee will evaluate submission on the basis of design, craftsmanship, and originality for a balanced exhibit of pieces that best fits the Celebration.
We seek work made by an individual and/or with help from a limited number of assistants/apprentices under their supervision in the United States. This work demonstrates attention to detail, design, function, and finish and expresses the imagination and mark of the maker’s individual vision. Work that is entirely made by hand is preferred. If your work includes prefabricated or purchased parts, they must be high quality and not dominate the essential handmade aspect of the work.
The committee considers a wide variety of mediums. Given the holiday nature of the exhibit, your work might make an excellent gift. Other areas of interest are work that reflects the departments at the Workshop (Book Arts, Drawing + Painting/Fine Art, Fiber, Photo, Pottery, Printmaking, and Sculpture/Jewelry), new technology, re-purposed materials, and prepared foods. We look forward learning more about you and your process.
- Celebration is an exhibit, sale, event, and fundraiser curated by Creative Arts Workshop (CAW), the largest non-profit community visual arts school in Connecticut. Located in the heart of the Audubon Arts District, the Workshop offers 300 courses to 2,000 students annually and gallery exhibits by local and national artists.
- Celebration receives extensive media coverage, including local television, local and regional newspapers, national magazines, and social media.
- Proceeds from the Celebration support CAW’s ongoing commitment to providing affordable, relevant, and high-quality visual arts instruction in the community.
- Your presence is not required during the sale. Your work will be professionally installed and displayed in our stunning two-story, street-front gallery. However, there are several new opportunities to present a showcase, demonstration, workshop, or artist talk this year.
Contact Celebration of American Crafts by email or 203 562 4927 x12