Application due: June 15, 2018
Exhibit + Sale: November 24 – December 24, 2018
Thanks for your interest in exhibiting at the 49th annual Celebration of American Crafts, a holiday exhibit and sale of the best handmade crafts by makers from New England and across the country. This event is greatly anticipated regionally, attracting buyers from throughout Connecticut and parts of metropolitan New York and western Massachusetts. Proceeds support Creative Arts Workshop’s education and outreach programs.
We seek makers of bold, creative, and original work who continue to grow as artists, push the boundaries of their media, and consistently produce unique, high-quality pieces. The exhibit is professionally curated and staffed; however, makers can participate in community events and programs during the sale.
- May 1 – June 15, 2018: Open Call Applications are accepted and juried
- July 1: Accepted makers are notified by email
- August 1: Inventory lists due from makers
- October 1 – 20: Delivery of work
- November 24 – December 24: Celebration sale, events, and programs
- December 26 – 28: Post-Celebration sale
- January 4, 2019: First payment mailed
- January 14 – 31: Return of work
- February 15: Final payment mailed
- Work accepted on consignment with the Maker receiving 60% of retail price
- Payments are calculated in two installments and mailed on January 4 and February 15
- The cost of return shipping for unsold work is deducted from the Maker’s final payment, unless alternate arrangements are communicated prior
The Celebration Jury Committee will evaluate submissions on the basis of design, craftsmanship, and originality for a balanced exhibit of pieces that best fits the Celebration.
We seek work made by an individual (with possible help from a limited number of assistants/apprentices under direct supervision) in the United States. This work demonstrates attention to detail, design, function, and finish and expresses the imagination and mark of the maker’s individual vision. Work that is entirely made by hand is preferred. If your work includes prefabricated or purchased parts, they must be high quality and not dominate the essential handmade aspect of the work.
The committee considers a wide variety of media. Given the holiday nature of the exhibit, your work might make an excellent gift. Other areas of interest are work that reflects the departments at the Workshop (Book Arts, Drawing + Painting/Fine Art, Fiber, Photo, Pottery, Printmaking, and Sculpture/Jewelry), new technology, re-purposed materials, and prepared foods. We look forward to learning more about you and your process.
- Celebration is an exhibit, sale, event, and fundraiser curated by Creative Arts Workshop (CAW), the largest non-profit community visual arts school in Connecticut. Located in the heart of the Audubon Arts District, the Workshop offers 350 courses to 1000 students annually, employing over 50 artists, as well as gallery exhibitions by local and national artists.
- Celebration receives extensive media coverage, including local television, local and regional newspapers, national magazines, and social media.
- Proceeds from the Celebration support CAW’s ongoing commitment to providing affordable, relevant, and high-quality visual arts instruction in the community, and a roster of public programming to allow the public and artists to engage in discourse about the arts.
- Your presence is not required during the sale. Your work will be professionally installed and displayed in our stunning two-story, street-front gallery. However, we highly encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to present a showcase, demonstration, or artist talk this year.
Contact Celebration of American Crafts by email or 203 562 4927 x12